Schedule A Consultation (520) 882-8852

Residency, Visas, and Citizenship

Permanent Residence & Visas

There are two primary ways that an immigrant can legally enter into the United States. One is through permanent residence and the other is by means of a temporary visa. There are different elements related to each option and it is important to understand which choice is best for you or your loved one.

Permanent Residence

Permanent residence may be obtained through a variety of means. The most common include:

  • Family;
  • Employment; and
  • Refugee or Asylee Status.

Here a tGreen | Evans-Schroeder, we have devoted the majority of our permanent resident cases to those individuals who are seeking permanent residency through family.

In most cases, an immigrant may be granted permanent residence through an immediate relative who is a U.S. citizen or through a U.S. citizen family member who fits within another preference category.

Specifically, the professionals at Green | Evans-Schroeder can assist you or a loved one with the following family-based matters:

  • Spousal Visas (K-3, CR-1, IR-1), including petitions to remove conditions on residence;
  • Consular Processing for eligible relatives residing outside the United States;
  • Fiancé Visas (K-1); and
  • Waivers of Inadmissibility.

After an individual has been granted permanent residency and the individual has obtained his green card, he may later choose to pursue citizenship through the naturalization process.

In addition, once the immigrant has been granted lawful permanent residence, there are certain rights and responsibilities that come along with this privilege. Proper legal representation will ensure that you are educated on these obligations and duties.

Furthermore, it is possible to lose permanent resident status if the individual commits certain acts or violations contrary to U.S. law or policy. A court may also find that an immigrant has “abandoned” his permanent resident status if a particular criminal or immigration violation has been committed.

Non-Immigrant Visas

Non-immigrant visas are appropriate for temporary visitors who intend on staying in the U.S. for just a short time. While there are many different categories of visas, the most common visas includes school, tourism, and employment. Each visa allows for varying lengths of stay and that is just one reason why it is in your best interest to work with a qualified immigration attorney who is knowledgeable on the law.

Our office has the necessary training, background, and experience to help advise you on the proper visa for your needs as well as guiding you through the application process. We have worked extensively with the following visa categories:

  • H1-B:  Working professionals;
  • B-1: Business visitors;
  • B-2: Tourists;
  • TN: Mexican and Canadian working professionals;
  • E: Foreign investors;
  • L: Intracompany transfers; and
  • F: Students.

There are a number of laws that control the issuance of permanent residency and non-immigrant visas. Immigration law is detailed and is often confusing. While it may seem overwhelming when you first begin to explore the regulations related to your immigration matters, an experienced attorney can help you through this trying time and help to make sense of the law.

Green | Evans-Schroeder is conveniently located in Tucson and services clients throughout the area. If you would like more information or wish to schedule a consultation, please call us at (520) 882-8852. Se habla Español.